HAMILTON (May 27, 2019) — NDP MPPs Paul Miller (Hamilton East-Stoney Creek) and Monique Taylor (Hamilton Mountain) said that it is wrong for the Ford government to continue to ignore recommendations from a 2018 inquest into eight overdose deaths at the Hamilton Wentworth Detention Centre while the crisis in corrections worsens.
Last week, paramedics were called to the facility seven times to treat apparent opioid overdoses, making the need to respond to the 2018 recommendations even more urgent.
“Ford continues to ignore the obvious crisis and deplorable conditions endured by those at this facility,” Miller said. “The 2018 inquiry included measures aimed at strengthening communication, disrupting the flow of drugs and improving access to health care for inmates. These actions can make the facility safer for everyone.
“It’s time to take real action on the crisis in corrections—New Democrats are calling on the Conservatives to immediately respond to the inquest recommendations.”
On Monday, a rally will be held by families of inmates and stakeholders at the HWDC to raise awareness to the crisis in corrections.
“The Liberals let the corrections crisis facing Hamilton and other Ontario cities like London and Niagara spiral out of control,” Taylor said. “For over a decade, they failed to address the overcrowding, staff shortages and unsafe conditions. Doug Ford is making things worse, allowing these inhumane conditions to continue, with too few resources to stop the flow of drugs into facilities like Hamilton-Wentworth.”
“Corrections staff, inmates and their loved ones deserve safety and humane treatment. The Ford government needs to act now, to prevent this tragic situation from worsening.”